Installing Cygwin as normal user in nonstandard location?

Martin Wege martin.l.wege@gmail.com
Sun May 26 09:47:46 GMT 2024

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 2:14 AM Bill Stewart via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 3:54 PM Martin Wege wrote:
>
> Can Cygwin be installed as a normal user (without Admin rights) in a
> > nonstandard location, like C.\Users\martinwege\cygwinroot36\...)?
> >
> > Also, can this be done for more than one Cygwin version, e.g. I'd like
> > to test multiple Cygwin versions in parallel.
> >

> (?) Why ask when you can just try both scenarios pretty easily?

Simple example for possible issues (might be more):
Cygwin seems to modify the global REGISTRY with a "Install for
everyone" (as Admin). What will happen then? Can Cygwin installations
installed as non-admin interact via Windows REGISTRY, or other
unexpected ways? So testing by a non-expert like me might not uncover
such things immediately, so I better ask the experts here

@Corinna Vinschen ?

Thanks,
Martin