Computer Science

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Wed Oct 16 22:32:55 GMT 2024

On 2024-10-15 16:00, Jonathan Chapman-Moore via Cygwin wrote:
> I've always wondered why software has maintainers not set forth by their graduating universities.

Ability to communicate clearly in English is a prerequsite.
I suspect all software has maintainers who have been set forth in their diplomas
by their graduating universities.

> I am a 2000 computer science graduate.

Do you mean high school, community college, university, postgrad, or something
else?

> With straight A's in prep school I disapprove of the lists on Cygwin

Who cares what you got in elementary school, or did you prep for some later
grade of education?

Perhaps you could state why and in what manner you disapprove of which lists?

> As I would like to be a IceWM maintainer but not with every other stock boy in America without a
> Computer science degree.

It requires a fair amount of maturity and experience with production software
design, development, and maintenance, the common toolchain, and desire to
improve, support, or provide packages that do not increase the burden on other
developers, packagers, or users, to be a maintainer.

> it degrades the sustainability of every one else on a computer.

It appears that most software package designers, developers, maintainers,
distributors, and users manage to sustain positive productive coexistence.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry