Updating rust package

Rainer Emrich rainer-lists@emrich-ebersheim.de
Wed Sep 30 16:22:49 GMT 2026


Am 28.09.2026 um 21:40 schrieb Jon Turney:
> On 03/08/2026 14:42, Rainer Emrich via Cygwin wrote:
>> Am 03.08.2026 um 15:30 schrieb Jon Turney:
>>> On 01/07/2026 12:48, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
>>>> On 29/06/2026 10:12, Rainer Emrich via Cygwin wrote:
>>>>> Hi folks,
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm interested in updating the rust package. We have rust 1.91.0 
>>>>> but some python modules I'm interested in, especially nc_app_api 
>>>>> need an up to date rust version which is 1.96.0.
>>>>
>>>> It would be very helpful indeed if you would do this!
>>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>>>> So, how to organize this package wise? Some ideas and hints are really
>>>>> welcome.
>>>>   I guess the simplest way is to build and publish the intermediate 
>>>> versions (which is probably also helpful if there's a regression, 
>>>> since it can then be tracked down to a specific version).
>>>>
>>>> Our process should be described at [1].
>>>>
>>>> If you send a mail to the cygwin-apps list saying you'd like to 
>>>> adopt the rust package and providing an ssh key, I'll get you hooked 
>>>> up.
>>>>
>>>> (you need to subscribe to be able to post to that list, but you can 
>>>> turn mail delivery off)
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> I don't think we heard anything further from you on this?
>>>
>>> Does this mean that there's some problem or friction in our process? 
>>> Or did you decide not to bother?
>>
>> Sorry Jon, I were under heavy load recently. I did a few tests and run 
>> into fork issues. Hopefully I find the time to do analyze this further 
>> in about two weeks time. In any case I will come back to you in two 
>> weeks. OTOH, if you have someone who wants to do the job im happy with 
>> it. We need recent rust support in the long term anyway.
>   Unfortunately, there has been no other expressions of interest in 
> helping to update the rust package.
> 
> This is, as you point out a problem, as it blocks the use of projects 
> which need a more up to date rust. So, uf you're still interested in 
> looking into this, that would help out a lot.
> 
> If there's anything I can do to facilitate that, please let me know.
> 
I may see what I can do. Unfortunately this is really time consuming. 
Even on may threadripper system the build only takes 3 hours.
I was able to successfully rebuild the current version.
Than I have rebuild the same version without the bootstrap package.
What makes it hard, is the fact that this is highly unstable in terms of 
causing fork errors at different stages.
At the moment I try to build rust version 1.92.0. Tommorow I know if 
this is going to work.


More information about the Cygwin mailing list