Cygwin access from outside cygwin -- How to do it?

Here's the situation.  I am running Smalltalk on Win2K. The Smalltalk program
needs to invoke latex running under cygwin.  We have it set up so the
Win3SystemSupport package provides a command line interface into Win2K.

What I want to do is invoke a complex of perl scripts and programs which
currently live (and work!) under cygwin--that is, I can go into the
cygwin shell and run the stuff.  However, from Smalltalk, the command line
interface can't seem to find perl or any of the other programs.

Clearly there is something failing in the path resolution!  I'd appreciate
some help (or hints or words of wisdom) identifying what to do next to get
the systems to communicate.  How does one expose the cygwin command line
interfact in the Win2K environment?  Maybe I should start with cygwin.bat?

-dra