[RFC] C++1x breaking the ABI in one more place :(

Christopher Jefferson chris@bubblescope.net
Wed May 19 18:30:00 GMT 2010

On 19 May 2010, at 19:18, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so I was finally getting around to adding the new C++1x member functions
> to std::time_get (also needed in order to implement the std::get_time
> free function) when I noticed that we should also add a new *virtual*
> function, do_get, and that breaks of course the ABI because, eg, on
> x86_64, the size of the object itself grows from 80 to 88...
>
> Off the top of my head, I can't imagine any trick we can play to avoid
> breaking the ABI when adding an additional virtual, but I admit not
> being such an expert in this area, and I'm looking for advice...

Putting the new file into an inline namespace would at least allow code using the old and new std::time_get to live together, although they couldn't be passed back and forth. I don't know how much people do that.

Chris