Re: Perl Illegal Instruction

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 3:36 PM, Chris Wagner  wrote:
>
> On 2019-07-15 3:46 pm, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Terribly out of date and no longer safe to use on a networked system.
>
> Of course it's up to date…

There is no "of course" in troubleshooting. As Achim noted and you didn't quote,
whether a "Windows 7 SP1" system is up-to-date depends on what has been
laid on top of Windows 7 SP1. Since, as Achim also noted, MS refused to use
SP2 to refer to the huge sets of patches following SP1, then SP1 by itself is
insufficient information.

>>> So I turn to strace and it states Illegal Instruction.  Any ideas?
>> BLODA or worse, assuming that _you_ didn't change anything recently.
>
> That is not BLODA.  That's the standard list of libraries.

What's not BLODA? You don't specify what you're referring to here. What Achim is
referring to is https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA and the list of applications
found on the link there.

> I changed nothing; it worked yesterday; today it didn't.  Every other Cygwin executable
> I've tried works without problem.  I even tried reextracting the files from perl_base.

Is this a computer under your control or a corporate computer? You changed nothing,
do you know nothing was changed? (Those two are often not the same in a corporate
environment. And even on a computer where, e.g., updates are applied automatically.)
Regardless, that's how BLODA often manifests itself—things that worked perfectly
an hour ago now don't.

>>> $ uname -a
>>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 applejack 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin
>> A current Cygwin...
>>> $ cygcheck -c perl perl_base
>>> Cygwin Package Information
>>> Package              Version        Status
>>> perl                 5.22.4-1       OK
>>> perl_base            5.22.4-1       OK
>> combined with an outdated Perl (Cygwin is at 5.26.3 now).  What are you
>> trying to achieve?  Please fully update Cygwin after checking your
>> system.  Also, you might want to clean up your PATH a bit.
>
> I'm not going to recompile all my modules and rework the new lib paths until I have
> a really good reason to.

You have a good reason to. Your perl isn't working, and the person trying to help you
troubleshoot your problem suggested it as the next step.