setup.exe gui testing

Brian Keener bkeener@thesoftwaresource.com
Wed Mar 27 16:56:00 GMT 2002

> I won't tell you whats different, other than it's all on the chooser
> page, cause the whole POINT of gui's is for the user to get it right
> without help.

At first I thought nah and then I saw the new checkbox (I'm not telling either)
and checked it and thought okay now I can click again.  This ought to worry you
coming from me --- but I think I like it - sets up a simple front end for the
beginning setup user and allows the more experienced to get to more options.
The New column being disabled is a bit perplexing until the new check box is
discovered and then it is still not readily apparent what changed.

Two things - the first is I think I finally figured out why the chooser might
seem confusing to a lot of folk (at least for me ) as far as the selection of
what to do and that's because of the New version column.  For some reason even
with the little circular icon thingy it just doesn't seem to jump out that you
should click on the verbiage in that column to change it.  You keep expecting a
push button or something to change the verbiage.  Perhaps the new format should
gray or whiten that column or signify it somehow that it is enabled when the
new checkbox is checked.

The second thing I am sure is purely just because this a proof of concept but
when selecting Download from Internet and then I select Prev for stability all
the Bin for the previous versions that I had installed were checked and they
should probably look and see if the version exists on disk before the default
to downloading.  Like I say I am sure this is only because this is a quick
experiment for proof of concept.

My .02 worth, FWIW.