[ITP] ImageMagick

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Thu Dec 4 01:53:00 GMT 2003

Harold wrote:
> Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>
>> Harold wrote:
>>
>>> David,

>>> Thanks.  Can you justify the following flags you passed:
>>>
>>>   --disable-largefile --without-frozenpaths \
>>>   --with-magick-plus-plus --without-perl -without-wmf
>>>
>>> --without-perl is required because the PerlMagick build fails.
>>

>> Getting it to support a vendor installdir is actually not that
>> difficult.  OOTB, it isn't DESTDIR friendly.  However, all it requires
>> is, post configure, switching to the perl dir and rerunning perl
>> Makefile.PL with the appropriate MakeMaker args to get it to work.
>

> I ran 'perl Makefile.PL' but it complained about not being able to find
> some X libs.  Any clue as to what the "appropriate MakeMaker" args would
> be?  I have no idea what MakeMaker is let along what args it needs.

Oh yeah, that's right!  Dumb MakeMaker is screwing up because it only
tries to look for lib<name>.a on Cygwin and won't recognize dll.a's by
themselves.  Gerrit fixed this problem upstream after the 5.8.1 perl
release.  Let me check an make sure that the latest perl (rather then
just CVS) has the fix...  Ah yes, it was fixed in 6.20.  Can you update
to Gerrit's test release of perl 5.8.2 via setup.exe?  According to my
installation of 5.8.2, it has MakeMaker 6.21, so you should be good to go.

Now, as for how to do the DESTDIR installation.  This is what RedHat
does, and it works for me in most cases:

perl Makefile.pl
make OPTIMIZE=$CFLAGS
make manifypods
make install PREFIX=/<destdir>/usr

where <destdir> is the *full* canonical path to the .inst/ dir.

Please be sure to remove any perllocal.pod files in the destdir, as they
will clobber the installer's installed-module list (in the same manner
as texinfo's "dir" entry file).

>>> --without-wmf is detected automatically.
>>> --with-magick-plus-plus is detected automatically.
>>

>> I see no reason why we shouldn't support Magick++, it built fine for
>> me a year ago.
>

> I think you read that wrong: "--with-" is detected automatically.  That
> is, it defaults to "yes".

Ooops, indeed I did read wrong.

>>> --without-frozenpaths is a mystery to me.  I don't know what it does.
>>>
>>> Additionally, configure.ac looks for "convert":
>>>
>>> AC_PATH_PROG(ConvertDelegate, "$ConvertDelegateDefault",
>>> "$ConvertDelegateDefault")
>>>
>>> On Windows, it finds:
>>>
>>> checking for convert... /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/convert
>>>

>> Not out of the box, but you could do what I do, which is to add a
>> script to profile.d which sanitizes my $PATH of unnecessary entries.
>

> Could you send in that snippit for me?  I had to clean the path by hand
> this time.

This is what I use to get rid of a dumb path with spaces (which causes
all sorts of mayhem on my box):
#Get rid of annoying spaces in $PATH
NEWPATH="`echo ${PATH} | sed -e "s:\/cygdrive\/c\/Program\
Files\/Symantec\/Norton\ Ghost\ 2003\/\:::g"`"
export PATH="/usr/cygwrappers:${NEWPATH}"

I just put it in path.sh, dropped it in my profile.d, and was good to
go.  Obviously, you can add more path expressions by passing additional
strings of ' -e "s:<expr>::g" ' to the pipeline.  Be sure to get 'em
inside the tick marks, if you do add on.

Cheers,
Nicholas