[Review 2 - Good to go] gd: A graphics library for fast image creation

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Wed Nov 19 14:48:00 GMT 2003

Dr.Volker.Zell@oracle.com wrote:

>     >> Hmm... just noticed that you have libgd2 and libgd2-devel... I was under
>     >> the impression that you should stick the DLL version in the libgd
>     >> package name, which you did, but I thought that the DLL version number
>     >> was *not* included in the -devel package name.
>     >>
>     >> It seems to me that the devel package should be called:
>     >>
>     >> libgd-devel
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Anyone care to comment on this?
>
>     Gareth> It would be nice to say that versioned devels are never necessary, but
>     Gareth> unless the internals of the package are designed so as to be able to coexist
>     Gareth> with future version devels (like libgd2 would be), there isn't any point
>     Gareth> versioning them, and hence should not be so.

Volker,

I think the best way to determine this is whether or not the package
installs versioned includes and static/import libs.  Also, the naming of
the libraries & include dirs is important.  In the case of freetype,
freetype-1 is libttf whereas freetype2 is libfreetype.  Even if it
doesn't, it pays to check out the Mandrake/RedHat/Debian packages to see
how they are doing it.  Sometimes it may be necessary to make a package
have co-existing versions, especially in the case of databases where src
API's can change, causing some existing sources not to compile/work.
Also, it is pretty much a given that most GNOME libraries are going to
need to be versioned.  The key is to plan ahead now, before you are
stuck providing kludges or empty-package work-arounds.

Cheers,
Nicholas