cygbuild as build script [Was: Re: [Review - Not yet] rdesktop]

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Nov 27 07:04:00 GMT 2003

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>> 4) The script builds in the same directory as the source code.  I
>> don't like that.  I have not yet (I hope) released a package that does
>> this and I don't give good reviews to packages that do it.  If the
>> package fails to build out of the source directory, than you can
>> either use lndir or the similar but more portable suggestion that
>> Chuck Wilson had a few weeks/months ago (don't remember what it was
>> called).  If they cygbuild script doesn't yet support this, then it
>> isn't ready for prime-time and you should hack up one of the scripts
>> from another source package to do the job in the mean time.
>

> Disagree.  It is NOT a requirement that you must be able to build a
> package outside of the source dir.  *I* find it convenient to do so,
> solely because it makes it easier to generate a patch without
> build-generated files making a mess of it.  But that's an issue for the
> maintainer; if Jari has another system that works for him, let's not put
> barriers in his way.
>
> Jari's package: (1) distributes source (2) distributes a patch (3)
> contains a build script.  Except for the naming issues and worries about
> clobbering that you raise, his system looks like it satisfies the spirit
> behind our packaging guidelines.  That's enough for me.

If cygbuild is going to ever be promoted as a build script, then it
should continue to support building out of the source dir, whether it
requires a flag (such as defaulting to not needing a hack and having a
flag that tells it to us lndir or a similar hack) or not.

If cygbuild isn't going to have that feature, then I will continue
reviewing up to the point of everything being fixed expect for my niggle
above.  I won't give such a package a "Good to go".  That is my choice.
  Somebody else can pick it up and give it a "Good to go" at that point
if they want to, but my choice is not to do so.

Harold