Libtool: erroneous relinking

Sat Jul 2 02:41:00 GMT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:
> I'm running into a problem building the apache subversion modules, where
> libtool builds them fine, but then screws up when it tries to relink
> them for installation.
>
> Now, I thought that relinking was only for altering the linked-in rpath,
> from the build directory to the final install directory? If so, then
> since DLLs don't have an rpath, is there any point whatsoever in
> relinking them?
>
> I'd like to know whether the answer is to simply disable relinking
> entirely, before I dig into the guts of libtool.

Hmmm...a few questions, first:

(1) are you [a] re-libtoolizing with the cygwin installed libtool, or
[b] are you using whatever version of libtool the upstream maintainers
originally used?

(2) if [a], which version are you using?  libtool-devel-1.5.10-x, or
libtool1.5-1.5.18-1 ?

(2) if [b], which version are THEY using?  The fix to avoid
relinking-on-install has been in the official libtool1.5 tree for ages,
now -- like 18 months or so.

In any case, as annoying as it is to manually muck with ltmain.sh,
turning off relinking is safe -- probably safer than leaving it on if
libtool insists on erroneously relinking when it shouldn't -- THAT way
lies madness if /usr/lib/ contains older versions of the libs you're
trying to build/install.

--
Chuck