Musings on PHP

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Sun Sep 18 21:24:00 GMT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:

> 2) Shared library headaches.
>
> PHP definitely needs its postgresql support available to be useful most
> non-trivial application. If I want to avoid creating a hard dependency
> on the postgresql package, the PHP pgsql extension needs to be built as
> a shared library. But to make that work for both the php command line
> executable and the apache module, I'd have to significantly tweak the
> PHP build process, introducing an extra library to contain the core PHP
> engine, instead of just linking the component object files into both the
> php exe and the apache module. So... is it worth messing with the build
> system to this extent, or should I just go the easy route, and have a
> hard dependency on postgresql's cygpq.dll?

Basically it is much better to have a shared core used by both the
module and the CLI.  This reduces the size.  My last build was pretty
easy.  With some minor fixes to get several modules compiled, the major
change to get a shared core was in the Makefile: changing some lines
*after* it was generated.

s.th. like the attached patch should do it (this was from a build
without the Apache module).

Gerrit
--
=^..^=