A question for the Ruby maintainer: RubyGems?

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Jan 19 21:06:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > Okay, thanks.  I'll play around with the install, see how hard it is to
> > get it to behave properly, and try to ITP it at some point.  If it turns
> > out I'll be using ruby more extensively, taking over maintainership may be
> > an option too.
>
> In terms of packaging rubygems (it requires a bit of a trick to install
> into a DESTDIR), you may want to see my Cygwin Ports package:
>
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/ruby/rubygems/

Heh, that's cool, thanks for saving me the effort, Yaakov.

> Let me know if there's anything else ruby-based that you like there,
> under /release/ruby/.
>
> P.S. ruby could use a version bump.

Corinna already indicated her willingness to give over maintainership into
capable hands.  I don't use Ruby regularly (just starting to dabble in
it), so I'm reluctant to make a grab for it.  If you feel confident in
your ability to keep Cygwin Ruby going, would you like to offer to
maintain it?

Also, if there is a maintainership change, and since you've already
packaged RubyGems (and are presumably willing to maintain it as well), it
might (IMHO) be a good idea to fold RubyGems into the main Ruby package.

What do you think?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/