[ITP] util-linux

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 7 02:48:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Well, call it objections... I can't quite see the benfit of mkswap and
> the fsck resp. mkfs backends in the Cygwin distro.  You know what will
> happen, don't you?  We have already people once in a while asking if
> Cygwin can access, say, ext2 filesystems, but these tools add a new type
> of confusion, along the lines of "I created a swap (bfs, minix)
> partition but I can't mount it in Cygwin.  Cygwin is bOrked." Do we
> really want that?

I hear your point, but how much must we oversimplify things for those
end-users that don't know what their doing?  We already have e2fsprogs;
did that contribute to this problem, or is it just that people always
think Cygwin can do everything that Linux can (don't we wish!)?

> I have never a problem if somebody takes over maintainership for one
> of my packages ;-)
>
> However, would you mind to test if setsid still *needs* the patches
> I made?  They were necessarey way back when, but the changed console
> handling in Cygwin might make them unnecessary.

AFAICS, the patch is still necessary.

Yaakov