[ITA] cmake

Tony Kelman tony@kelman.net
Fri Sep 26 02:34:00 GMT 2014

Feels a little odd to be proposing adopting cmake from its original
author, but I guess he's a busy guy and has not been responsive to
requests on cygwin lists to update the package.

I found Yaakov had a recent cygport file and set of patches in
ports, I started from there. I imported Yaakov's git history and
you can see my changes at https://github.com/tkelman/cygwin-cmake
Had to tweak a couple of patches and remove another to account for
upstream changes. Also added a separate cmake-doc subpackage for
the sphinx-generated html documentation.

Results (multiple subpackages, put together into one tarball per arch):
i686   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8244638/cmake.i686.tar
x86_64 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8244638/cmake.x86_64.tar

Would appreciate testing, particularly from people who've been using
cmake longer than I have. There are 2 failing tests in cmake's own test
suite: Qt4Autogen and CTestTestFailedSubmit-ftp. The same tests fail
even using unpatched sources directly from upstream, so I don't think
it has anything to do with the packaging. The first failure is from
not finding a dependency dll during a test project compilation, the
second is being too picky about an expected error message. I'll
inquire about these test failures upstream.

Question to Yaakov, who I think is the author of most of the patches:
Were issues raised upstream? Particularly on ${VERSION}-cygwin.patch
which is looks mostly about case sensitivity and path-handling. I can
pursue getting them merged upstream if you haven't already opened
issues, but would like to know more about the justifications for the
patches if you can remember.

Side issue that may be better for the main list, I was hitting a
repeatable error "[main] ctest 12492 fork: child -1 - forked process
9752 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000135, errno 11"
and freeze (had to manually kill bash, make, ctest, tee) when running
the tests. It was caused by having too many entries in PATH, since
running "PATH=/usr/bin cygport cmake.cygport test" worked. I suspect
this might be an issue in cygwin itself, as I've seen similar errors
from git. (I set alias git="PATH=/usr/bin git" for this reason,
but it still bites me in scripts fairly often.)


More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list