Package request: nnn file manager

Mon Jan 6 17:53:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-01-06 10:40, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-01-06 07:44, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 09:45, Arun Prakash Jana wrote:
>>> I noticed your response now. Somehow I didn't receive a mail when you
>>> responded.
>>>
>>> I would have loved to contribute but I do not have access to any
>>> Windows system for personal usage. So I requested in this mailing list
>>> if someone can pick it up.
>
>> Cygwin packages are maintained by volunteers, generally because
>> they're maintaining packages they use themselves. If there were a
>> significant hole in the packages available that was causing problems
>> for Cygwin users, I can imagine one of the maintainers might look to
>> help, but I don't think anyone is going to take on maintaining a
>> package that we don't use personally and that we can see no particular
>> demand for.
>>
>> For what it's worth, I took a quick look at your Cygwin installation
>> instructions. They reference a "copier" script at
>> https://github.com/jarun/nnn/blob/master/misc/clipboard-copier/copier,
>> but that's giving a 404 error for me.

Cygwin build/install instructions should always use cygport, as it is now
required for Cygwin packages, and takes care of using autotools, autoreconfig,
and other tool chains, selection between various source repo alternative
mirrors, build and runtime package dependencies, and setup requirements, with
minimal effort for maintainers.
For example, you should say:

	Download and run Cygwin setup to install cygport and ... (package dependencies)

	then:

	$ cygport nnn.cygport download all test install

Using cygport also standardizes package maintainer uploads to Cygwin servers for
automatic handling by calm, and sending announcements to mailing list
cygwin-announce@cygwin.com which also processes and formats the announcements
and forwards to cygwin@cygwin.com. See:

	http://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/toc_index.html

The cygport file can be minimal e.g.:

NAME="iperf"
VERSION="2.0.9"
RELEASE="1"

CATEGORY="Net"
SUMMARY="Internet Protocol bandwidth measuring tool"
DESCRIPTION="Internet Protocol bandwidth measuring tool
Iperf measures maximum TCP and UDP bandwidth performance, reporting bandwidth,
delay jitter, and datagram loss. It allows the tuning of various parameters and
UDP characteristics."

HOMEPAGE="https://$NAME.fr/"
SRC_URI="https://$NAME.fr/download/source/$NAME-$VERSION-source.tar.gz"

# DEPEND=" ... " # build packages
# REQUIRES=" ... " # runtime packages

but you can add variables for other purposes as it is just a shell source script
e.g.

# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL
LICENSE="GPL"
LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL"
LICENSE_URI="COPYING"

CYGWIN_MAINTAINER="..."
CYGWIN_MAINTAINER_EMAIL="..."
GNU_MAINTAINER="..."
GNU_MAINTAINER_EMAIL="..."
UPSTREAM_EMAIL="..."
SUBJECT="Package%20$NAME%20$VERSION"
MAILTO="mailto:$GNU_MAINTAINER_EMAIL,$UPSTREAM_EMAIL\
?to=$GNU_MAINTAINER%20%3C$GNU_MAINTAINER_EMAIL%3E\
&to=$GNU_MAINTAINER%20%3C$UPSTREAM_EMAIL%3E\
&from=$CYGWIN_MAINTAINER%20%3C$CYGWIN_MAINTAINER_EMAIL%3E\
&subject=$SUBJECT&body=Hi%20$GNU_MAINTAINER,%20$SUBJECT"