setup: parameter stickiness

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Mon Jul 22 06:43:58 GMT 2024

Am 21.07.2024 um 21:46 schrieb Jon Turney:
> On 21/07/2024 16:21, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Hi,
>> if I have two cygwin installations, e.g. C:\cygwin64 and
>> C:\cygwin64test, the setup program is sticky about its root directory,
>> local package directory, and download sites presettings. They tend to
>> stay at the second installation even after updating the first one, so
>> that I have to fix it manually every time I update my main installation
>> (unless I fiddle them out from the registry, or fix them via
>> command-line).
>> Would be good to remember the last-in-use values.
>
> That is kind of how it's supposed to work:
>
> The last-used root directory is stored in the registry
>
> All other settings are read from /etc/setup/setup.rc in the selected
> Cygwin root directory, if it exists.
>
> If that doesn't seem to be what you are seeing, maybe you could give a
> series of steps to reproduce, clearly stating what behavior you get
> that is unexpected.
It's not, indeed. Having used setup regularly (to C:\cygwin64), I once
installed a second one (C:\cygwintest) and setup got stuck to that
directory, despite later updates to C:\cygwin64. Happened on more than
one machine. However, I did also use older versions of setup in various
combinations, like to C:\cygwin32 or C:\cygwinxp64. Maybe those older
versions are getting sticky in the registry in a way that confuses
current setup?

> You might also find the setup option '--no-write-registry' useful to
> stop your test installation from writing it's root directory into the
> registry.

Thanks, I'll do that.
Thomas