access port 127.0.0.1:1052 (cygserver question) <PLEASE REPLY TO THIS ONE>

Conrad Scott Conrad.Scott@dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jul 4 02:42:00 GMT 2002

"Robert Collins" <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:
> Sounds like the cygserver domain socket was left open
> (perhaps due to cygserver being forcibly killed),
> and each process was trying to connect to the cygserver.

Rob,

AFAICS it's simply the presence of the socket file (/tmp/cygdaemo)
that triggers this behaviour, i.e. it doesn't require anything to go
wrong to trigger this.  You can re-start the machine and the presence
of the file causes clients to attempt to connect to the daemon.

In Un*x, are socket files persistent in this way? Or do they disappear
on last close?  I can't see anything unambiguous about this in the
documentation I've got to hand.  (I've never programmed with them in
anger and I've no Un*x box to hand to check.)  I could go read the
NetBSD or Linux source some more, but I've got other things I'd like
to do this week :-)

As I mentioned in my reply to Chris, cygserver could unlink the socket
file on exit: this isn't what (for example) XEmacs does with its unix
domain sockets, but I don't know of any good reason why cygserver
*shouldn't* do this.

Any thoughts?

// Conrad