utf-8 and cygwin

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sat Dec 29 17:46:00 GMT 2007

> #1 is that that NT/XP limit is 32000 UTF-16  wide characters.  Expanded to UTF-8 that makes the longest name 128k so if you really want this to work for 32K character names PATH_MAX is going to have to be 128K.

It doesn't make any sense to use UTF-8 in Cygwin.  Nowhere in the Win32
api or the Native API does any function take or output UTF-8, so there
would be a useless conversion before calling *any* system function.  The
whole point of this painful conversion is to use the same encoding
throughout in Cygwin as the operating system, namely UCS-2.

I think Corinna might have more to say as she's been doing the bulk of
the work but I believe she's on vacation.

Brian