utf-8 and cygwin

Sat Dec 29 18:05:00 GMT 2007

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:46:34AM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>>#1 is that that NT/XP limit is 32000 UTF-16 wide characters.  Expanded
>>to UTF-8 that makes the longest name 128k so if you really want this to
>>work for 32K character names PATH_MAX is going to have to be 128K.
>
>It doesn't make any sense to use UTF-8 in Cygwin.  Nowhere in the Win32
>api or the Native API does any function take or output UTF-8, so there
>would be a useless conversion before calling *any* system function.
>The whole point of this painful conversion is to use the same encoding
>throughout in Cygwin as the operating system, namely UCS-2.
>
>I think Corinna might have more to say as she's been doing the bulk of
>the work but I believe she's on vacation.

All of what you said above is correct.  Can we drop this subject now?
Corinna has been steadily making the conversion to UCS-2.  It will be a
while before this is done and part of the problem, I believe, is that
she's waiting for me to redesign some of the path_conv code.  I had an
implementation that dynamically allocates the path but I'm not satisfied
with the speed hit involved so I've been rethinking this problem for
months.