Console codepage setting via chcp?

Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers) lhall@cygwin.com
Thu Sep 24 17:42:00 GMT 2009

> On Sep 23 21:53, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> Sorry, one more.
>>
>> 2009/9/23 Corinna Vinschen:
>>> I'm glad to read that it makes sense to you, though.  If I get more
>>> positive replies, I start coding setfont tomorrow.
>>
>> Good idea, bad name. Unless of course it'll actually be able to change
>> the font as well as the charset. Also, having "console" in the name
>> might stop people from complaining about it not working in other
>> terminals. But then "set_console_charset" is rather a mouthful ...
>
> Well, chcp is quite cryptic as well and POSIX tools also have a history
> of having snappy names.  So what about:
>
>    setcons
>    setcset
>    chcs    ;)

Oh, OH!  I want to vote.  Can I vote?  Please, please!

I think 'setcset' is the best of the three.  I like that it "suggests"
setting the
character set, which is really what we're talking about.  With the same logic,
I should like 'chcs' but I don't.  For me, this is too much like 'chcp' and
I see
the potential for confusion with users about which one is Cygwin's utility,
etc.
(i.e. it's *too* similar to 'chcp').

Holliston, MA 01746