/bin/mail anyone? [SOLVED]

itz@lbin.com itz@lbin.com
Wed Jun 30 22:10:00 GMT 1999

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   From: David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk>
   Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:34:05 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
   CC: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
           < m10w7Du-007vP6C@light.lbin.com >

   > Yes, but my problem is with OUTGOING mail.  All Emacs mailers
   > ultimately rely on sendmail or something that behaves like it to
   > send messages, they don't talk SMTP themselves.

   It wasn't clear to me why you couldn't just use smtpmail.el on
   emacs, in order to get it to talk SMTP.  What was the problem with
   that approach?

The problem was that I was too spoiled by years of Unix experience
(where s(end)?mail was always available) to know how to plug in
smtpmail.  In fact it was trivial, basically just

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

But it took your post to make me look at the Lisp code and do it, for
which many thanks :-)

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.