problems with less

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 06:48:00 GMT 2000

--- John S Cooper <John.Cooper@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>  > > Since upgrading to cygwin 1.0 (on Win2K) less no longer displays
> properly.
>  >
>  > Is that cygwin 1.0.0 or cygwin 1.1.0?  The difference is that the cygwin
> 1.0.0
>  > is the CD version and the cygwin 1.1.0 is the net release.
>
> I pulled it off the net, so it must be 1.1.0.
>
>  > > When I `less c:/etc/termcap', the top 3 lines of the file are not shown,
> even
>  > > after typing `g' (start of file).  However, if I type 'G' (end of file)
>  > > followed by 'g' then it is shown, although searching for strings doesn't
>  > > display the highlighted matches (they seem to be off the top of the
> screen).
>  > > It's pretty much unusable really.
>  >
>  > I just tried thist using NT4 sp4, cygwin 1.1.0 and there wasn't a problem.
>  > I saw the head of the file, the tail of the file and even the hightlighted
>  > search strings.  BTW, the Command window is set for 2500 lines of buffer
>  > with 50 lines of display.
>

> Hmm.  I am using Win2K if that makes any difference.  It seems that the
> display
> is always messed up for me when the file being viewed has lines that wrap
> (i.e., longer than $COLUMNS, which is 80 for me).  I don't use a horizontal
> scrollbar.

My COLUMNS are also 80.
My CYGWIN variable contains only nontsec.
My TERM is cygwin
The `stty' command shows:
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-imaxbel
-echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

> If I pipe a file with the majority of its lines longer than 80 characters I
> get
> an extra newline everywhere a lines wraps, and after `G' `g', I can no longer
> view the top of the buffer.  Same behavior when running under bash (as
> opposed
> to zsh, my preferred shell).

Line wrapping causes no problems, less is aware.

> The B20.1 `less' doesn't exhibit this behavior.  In fact, I've just
> discovered
> that display problems with my B20.1 less only show up when I provide the -r
> option.  I guess I'll revert to the B20.1 version for now...

I don't know why this would work and the other not work.  AFAIK, the only
difference is that it was rebuilt with no source changes. (Ok, I suppose there
may have been some header changes.)

Regards,

=====
---