cygwin poll

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Sun Jan 9 23:11:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Jeff Sturm wrote:

> I created a zero-length file named "aux" in the POSIX subsystem (which
> has no similar restrictions on file naming).  Windows Explorer sees the
> file, but can't access it in any way.  Trying to open it (with either a
> right-click or double-click) hangs Explorer.  I'm forced to kill
> Explorer from the Task Manager, or log out to resume my session.
>
> This seems like a bug in Windows Explorer, but we can't prevent it
> without avoiding reserved names completely, so that'd be my
> recommendation.

I voted "no", and precisely because of the reason Jeff gives here.
What I recommend however, is to trap the open/creat'ing of such
files and issue an error.

I remember trying to untar sendmail 8.9.3 source archive and it would
just hang until I figured that out there was file named aux.m4. I'd
rather have seen an error from tar, while it proceeds to create the
rest of the files instead of hanging.

Regards,
Mumit