inetutils-1.3.2-2 on Cygwin 1.1.1

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Mon May 22 14:32:00 GMT 2000

Tom Weichmann wrote:
> > 3) ftp - does not work. After the prompt for the username, it
> > fails  with a "User xxxx access denied", even before the prompt
> > for the  password appears.
>
> I have noticed this behavior as well.  I have noted that if you
> change all of the user account shells in the /etc/passwd file to
> /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash, then the ftpd works correctly.  I
> don't know why, but this is sort of a workaround.

>From the ftpd man page we have:

    Ftpd authenticates users according to three rules.
        3. The user must have a standard shell returned by
           getusershell(3).

>From the getusershell man page (on Solaris) we have:

    getusershell() returns a pointer to a legal  user  shell  as
    defined  by  the system manager in the file /etc/shells.  If
    /etc/shells does not exist, a list of the ten  locations  of
    the  standard  system  shells:   /usr/bin/sh,  /usr/bin/csh,
    /usr/bin/ksh,  /usr/bin/jsh,  /bin/sh,  /bin/csh,  /bin/ksh,
    /bin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /sbin/jsh, are used instead of the file.

Hence, another way to fix the problem is to create an /etc/shells file
contains:

    /bin/bash
    /bin/sh
    /usr/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/sh

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235