patch for inetutils

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@cygnus.com
Fri Sep 29 10:29:00 GMT 2000

Steve,

first of all thanks for your effort.

Steve O'Brien wrote:
> 1) rlogin - does not terminate cleanly
> This is because of an error in setting signals - specifically catch_client
> does not get installed as the handler for SIGCHLD so that the parent process
> does not tidy up correctly when its child terminates. My fix is a very minor
> change to libinetutils/setsig.c

Hmm, this does fix the problem only in CYGWIN=tty mode. I just tried
it three times with notty and it was worse than before. Pressing
the RETURN key doesn't return to the shell prompt anymore. So I will
not check in that until the problem is solved for notty as well.

> 2) rshd - must wait 10 minutes between connections from same client

This has been fixed on Tuesday and is part of 1.3.2-7 which has been
announced Wednsday. I got a fix on 7th Sep from Jason Gouger which I
only checked in Tuesday due to my vacations.

> 3) rshd - always segvs without execing the command (on my system at least).
> Occurs when syslog is called to log the request. The variable "hostname"
> appears to be a "wild" pointer where it is passed to syslog just before the
> call to execl. My fix is just to remove the syslog call - not ideal but at
> least not I can rsh onto my NT box again!

Thanks for the pointer. I have solved that by copying the content
of hostname to a save location via `strdup()'. This let the syslog
still work as before.

Note that on my W2K system the syslog contained an empty hostname
while it never crashed. Weird. Just for the records: Which system
are you using?

> 4) rsh - cannot invoke it as rsh.exe
> I have modified the test of argv[0] in rsh.c so that either rsh or rsh.exe
> are accepted as being not host names.

I see. I have checked in an appropriate patch which additionally
tests the name case insensitive as I did that already in OpenSSH.

You will see your changes in the next version soon.

Thanks,
Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.