Potential problems with cygwin GCC and -mno-cygwin switch

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Thu Dec 27 10:01:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:02:46PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:28:22AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> =========
>>>
>>>3) There's a problem with Cygwin-specific libraries residing in
>>>/usr/lib.  ...  I, of course, updated the specs file to accomodate
>>>this.  My environment now works flawlessly.  When OpenLDAP looks for
>>>libncurses, it doesn't find it, as it shouldn't.
>>
>>This seems like an interesting approach.  I wonder if anything would
>>get broken by it (other than ALL the existing packages that provide
>>libraries :}).
>
>Yeah, and we can kiss that pesky "UNIX emulation" claim of cygwin's
>goodbye, too.  Somehow, I don't think that you'll find many library
>files in /usr/lib/cygwin on, say, HP/UX, Linux, Tru64, etc.
>
>This method solves a "problem" for -mno-cygwin at the expense of
>impacting many other packages.
>
>I agree that the print-search-dirs should work correctly and even suggested
>this in the libtools forum.  I agree that --dll-search-prefix=cyg should
>not be activated when the user specifies -mno-cygwin.
>
>I've made the appropriate change to my version of gcc but I don't think
>that this warrants a new release.

Btw, by "appropriate change", I mean that I"ve moved the --dll-search-prefix
inside of a !mno-cygwin block in the gcc specs file.

I haven't made any changes to print-search-dirs and have no plans on
doing so.

cgf