DJGPP & CygWin cohabitation

Ronald Landheer ronald.landheer@libertysurf.fr
Sun Jul 8 22:28:00 GMT 2001

> # I'm not familiar with DJGPP,
> DJGPP is to honest-to-goodness DOS (i.e., pre-95) what cygwin
> is to Windows 9x or NT.  More or less.  I'm sure the package
> overlap is not exact, and I don't think things tend to compile
> quite as OOTB with DJGPP as with cygwin (unless I've missed
> some updates, which is very possible), but there you are, a
> rough idea what DJGPP is.
My DJGPP programs have all compiled very nicely, OOTB. DJGPP is quite
complete ;)

> # but it sounds like there may be some overlap in
> # the programs each provides.
> Definitely some overlap (though, I think, not nearly
> 100%).  Probably the piece of DJGPP in particular
> that he wants to use (rather than the cygwin
> equivalent) is gcc, since that way he can produce DOS
> binaries.
The overlap is nearly 100% - there are a lot people porting all kinds of
stuff to DJGPP - very nice :)
The reason I want to keep using DJGPP is that it is a fine compiler, as I'm
sure CygWin is too (because it's nearly the same compiler) and that most of
the time, all I need is a DOS binary (which suits my purposes better than
Windoze binaries, console or otherwise).
Point is: I know and like DJGPP, and use it extensively. There are some
things DOS can't do that Windows can (multitasking) so I will need CygWin
for some stuff, but I'll be using DJGPP for most of my work (and porting to
CygWin when Windoze binaries are desired).

> # If so, whichever directory is earlier in the
> # PATH environment variable will be executed.
> And you can customise the PATH variable pretty much
> however you like, within the limit on command line
> size COMMAND.COM imposes.  You can even write BAT
> files that change the PATH variable.  I usually have
> my AUTOEXEC.BAT do a CALL FIXPATH.BAT so I can keep
> my PATH management separate anyway -- you can have
> more than one such BAT file, say, PATHDJ.BAT and
> PATHCYG.BAT, to change the PATH back and forth at
> will.
That's kinda what I had planned, though the Bash shell seems to do the job
nicely as is..

> # I think the default /etc/profile adds /usr/local/bin
> # and /bin to the front of PATH, so you should be able
> # to use the Cygwin tools an any DJGPP tools that aren't
> # in Cygwin from the bash prompt as well.
> And of course you can customise this too.
Yes, this seems to work rather nicely.

Thanx for the responses!

Greetz!

Ronald