Problem with Bash 2.05a-2

Hill, Shane Shane.Hill@dsto.defence.gov.au
Sun Nov 11 08:26:00 GMT 2001

G'day,

For some reason bash-2.05a-2 does not export the SHELL environment variable.
If you type "echo $SHELL" you get the right response of "/bin/bash",
however, if you type "env | grep SHELL" the variable is not to be seen.
bash-2.05-8 seems to be working correctly though and I have moved back to
this version.

I first noticed it when I ran KDE's kvt. For some reason it was using a
Bourne shell and not a Bash shell. I checked the environment for the SHELL
variable and it was not there. I manually set "export SHELL=/bin/bash" and
ran kvt again and it ran correctly with a Bash shell.

Have Fun !!

Shane Hill

=
Shane D. Hill (Aeronautical Engineer, Hons, University of Sydney)
Airframes and Engines Division,
Aeronautical & Maritime Research Laboratory,
Defence Science & Technology Organisation,
PO Box 4331,
Melbourne, Victoria 3001, AUSTRALIA.
(506 Lorimer St, Fishermens Bend, Vic. 3207, AUSTRALIA.)
Email:   <mailto:Shane.Hill@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Shane.Hill@dsto.defence.gov.au
Voice:  +61 3 9626 7811
FAX:    +61 3 9626 7072