Acces tape-unit with cygwin

Wim Versteeg willem.versteeg@rug.ac.be
Wed Oct 3 00:44:00 GMT 2001

Don,

Thanks for your quick reply. But unfortunately I can't find this tape-device
(tape0) in de cygwin-directory or other dir's. Do I need to do an extra
installation. Please could you inform me how to install/detect this tape-unit?

Regards, Wim

Don Sharp wrote:

> Wim Versteeg wrote:
> >
> > Hallo,
> >
> > I installed CYGWIN on my PC under winNT without tape-unit. Today I connected a
> > tape-unit via SCSI to my PC . The winNT backup system detects my drive. Could
> > you inform me how to use/install this tape-unit under CYGWIN (by dd if=TAPE or
> > tar....) This tar-option would be interesting for me!
> >

> You need to mount the tape decice(s) like
>
> mount -f -s -b "//./tape0" "/dev/st0"
> mount -f -s -b "//./tape0" "/dev/nst0"
>
> Notice the norewind version above
>
> You can now use
>
> dd if=/dev/st0 bs=tape_block_size > file_on_disc
> tar tf /dev/st0
>
> and
>
> mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> > Regards, Wim Versteeg
> >

> Cheers
>
> Don Sharp
begin:vcard
n:Versteeg;Wim
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:RCMG/University of Ghent
adr:;;Krijgslaan 281 - S8;Gent;;B-9000;Belgium
version:2.1
email;internet:willem.versteeg@rug.ac.be
tel;fax:+32-9-2644967
tel;work:+32-9-2644596