No more //c

Adrian Carter adrian@lidcam.com.au
Thu Sep 6 03:16:00 GMT 2001

At 12:09 PM 6/09/2001 +0100, frederick.page@amb-informatik.de wrote:
>Hi there,
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00109.html says
>about the upcoming changes in Cygwin 1.3.3:
>
>Briefly, the problem with using //x to refer to drive x is that it
>clashes with Windows' use of // to denote a network share.  So a system
>called 'x' on your network was previously inaccessible to cygwin.

Perhaps clashes is being used in a 'looks real bad when seen in a list of
resources that also contains SMB shares'. i.e:

//x/blah
\\blah\x

Kinda confusing... to a 'dummy' it could easily be seen perhaps as a typo.

Im guessin.

Adrian

>I'm not sure, whether this new change is necessary at all: to my
>understanding, Windows uses the non-standard backslash, a network
>share would be noted here as \\Sharename (and *not* //Sharename).
>
>Am I missing something?
>
>Kind regards    Frederick
>

>--

Adrian Carter
Senior Support Engineer  LIDCAM

Performance Networking Solutions by LIDCAM -
Lucent, Sun / Cobalt, Extreme, Netopia, Nortel / Alteon, Redback,
Cacheflow, Sendmail

Voice: 02 9922 7066 / 0410 577 049 / Fax: 02 9922 7071
adrian@lidcam.com.au / www.lidcam.com.au
Mail: Suite 5, Level 11, 100 Walker St, Nth Sydney, NSW, 2060
This communication (email) & files transmitted with it are privileged &
confidential information intended solely for the addressee. No infringement
of this firm's rights in respect to this confidential information will be
permitted. No liability is accepted for damage caused in the transmission
of this email.