No more //c

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Sep 6 03:20:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:09:08PM +0100, frederick.page@amb-informatik.de wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00109.html says
> about the upcoming changes in Cygwin 1.3.3:
>
> Briefly, the problem with using //x to refer to drive x is that it
> clashes with Windows' use of // to denote a network share.  So a system
> called 'x' on your network was previously inaccessible to cygwin.
>

> I'm not sure, whether this new change is necessary at all: to my
> understanding, Windows uses the non-standard backslash, a network
> share would be noted here as \\Sharename (and *not* //Sharename).
>
> Am I missing something?

Yep. When you use a POSIX like path it's translated into a
Win32 path inside of Cygwin. So //x becomes \\x. Moreover,
at least NT understand / in paths, too, so it would translate
it internally to \ and it would again hit \\x.

The \\x syntax is too ambiguous so it is deprecated since at
least two years. We're just doing the obvious step to drop it
completely now.

Again, if that's still unclear: You can use mount to get rid
of the "/cygdrive":

	mount --change-cygdrive-prefix /

and if you want these automatic mount points being binary mounts:

	mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.