FYI: cygwin1.3.11 and ssh

Andrew Chang awc@bitmover.com
Mon Jul 1 09:15:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

After I switched from cygwin1.3.10 to cygwin1.3.11-3,
I notice ssh starts doing output in text mode.
My win32 apps start ssh as sub process and talk to it via a pipe.
This causes problem for my win32 apps because it uses ssh to
transfer a data stream with control characters.
I tracked the problem to a binary-mode/text-mode problem.
I ended up adding a setmode(0, _O_BINARY) in the main()
of ssh.c, which fixed the problem.
I am wondering why cygwin1.3.11-3 default to text mode
and the previous version does the oppsite. Is this intentional ?

Thanks
Andrew Chang
BitKeeper Development

P.S. please cc your reply to awc@bitmover.com.