Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Sun Nov 24 16:50:00 GMT 2002

Hi, Chuck,

Do I have to say it?

         D'Oh!

At 14:35 2002-11-24, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Guys, I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious culprit (or
>asked the obvious question):
>
>Anti virus software?  Was McAfee or Norton (but esp. McAfee) running while
>setup.exe was executed?
>
>I *always* disable McAfee before running setup.  Every time I forget, I
>get a bluescreen.  Minidump analysis shows that the fault is in fact
>McAfee -- which runs in kernel mode -- and not setup.

I use Norton AntiVirus (2002) and I *never* enable automatic / background
scanning. I always stick to manual scanning. Mostly I apply it to email
attachments and occasionally to file downloads when I don't know or trust
the source.

>(I also turn off McAfee when compiling; it really slows down disk IO)

>--Chuck

Randall