Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)
Gary R. Van Sickle
g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 24 23:49:00 GMT 2002
> >Anti virus software? Was McAfee or Norton (but esp. McAfee) running while
> >setup.exe was executed?
> >
> >I *always* disable McAfee before running setup. Every time I forget, I
> >get a bluescreen. Minidump analysis shows that the fault is in fact
> >McAfee -- which runs in kernel mode -- and not setup.
>
> I use Norton AntiVirus (2002) and I *never* enable automatic / background
> scanning. I always stick to manual scanning. Mostly I apply it to email
> attachments and occasionally to file downloads when I don't know or trust
> the source.
>
I second that emotion 100%. Email scanning: great. Manual scanning: fine, but
start it just before you leave for the weekend, and hope it's finished by
Monday. Automatic scanning: prepare to lose data, in addition to magically
converting your 3GHz P4 into a 386SuX. Norton, McAffe, they're all just as bad.
If one insists on having the autoshredding er I mean autoscanning on, make
*absolutely* sure your scanner package as up-to-date as possible.
--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer. Patriot.
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list