accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh

Scott Evans gse@antisleep.com
Tue Sep 10 10:53:00 GMT 2002

> This is expected behavior if sshd is running as LocalSystem and you used
> publickey authentication when you logged in.  On my Win2k box, I can
> access shares if I use password authentication.

No way -- really?  I'll have to try it.

That behavior seems pretty surprising to me; why should the type of
authentication end you up with any more or less priveleges?  And for that
matter, why would *password* auth be treated as "more secure" than
publickey?

> Alternatively, you can run the sshd process as a specific user.  If you
> then use pubkey authentication (and are logging in as the user running
> sshd), you'll also have share access.

hm.  I suppose I could do that though it "feels" wrong since there are,
in face, multiple user accounts on this machine.

Sigh -- sometimes the line between Cygwin and Windows still confuses me.
Especially when there's no "su" that I know of.

Thanks for the tip, Dave...

scott