accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh

David Rothenberger d.roth@verizon.net
Tue Sep 10 11:16:00 GMT 2002

> > This is expected behavior if sshd is running as LocalSystem and you used
> > publickey authentication when you logged in.  On my Win2k box, I can
> > access shares if I use password authentication.
>
> No way -- really?  I'll have to try it.
>
> That behavior seems pretty surprising to me; why should the type of
> authentication end you up with any more or less priveleges?  And for that
> matter, why would *password* auth be treated as "more secure" than
> publickey?

This is really a good thing.  Basically, the sshd daemon can not switch
user contexts within the domain without a password.  If that weren't the
case, a user with only local Admin rights could use ssh to become _any
user_ in the domain without ever providing a password for that user!