Repost, different list...File::Spec, cygwin, Syntactic vs. Semantic path analysis

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 03:04:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:02:31AM +0100, Hack Kampbjorn wrote:
>LA Walsh wrote:
>>Cygwin, and possibly, the Win32 module, are inconsistent in handling
>>the differences between i:/foobar/ and i:.  On one hand i: is
>>considered a 'volume' but on the other hand i:/ seems to evaluate to
>>the same, incorrect, value. In "Win32", each 'fs' of form "<x>:', x
>>of class <[:alpha:]>, there is a process-specific "current
>>directory".  This can be seen by:
>>
>In the old DOS days yes, but in Win32 there is only one current
>directory. The illusion of having a current directory per drive and an
>active drive is maintained in cmd.exe (or is it in the MS C runtime?).
>As cygwin doesn't use it, i:foobar and i:/foobar is always the same.
>
><deleted long list of tests that demostrate this/>

Right.  Even though I rely on the behavior (which is a feature of the
MS-DOS/Win9x OS and the Windows NT command line shells) on Windows, it
has no business in cygwin.  If you want somewhat similar behavior use
pushd/popd.

cgf