Bug in rm -r with locked files

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Jan 22 04:35:00 GMT 2003


Shankar,

At 13:39 2003-01-21, Shankar Unni wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>It's not a completely intractable problem.  I think that someone (Chris
>>January?) provided a workaround at one point.  "cygserver" could also
>>provide a possible solution someday.
>
>Right. I went back and re-read those archives. Interesting problem.
>
>Now why was it important to do this "delayed remove" semantics? I.e. what 
>(as alluded to by Robert Collins) would be broken if unlink simply 
>returned EPERM or something like that if the file was busy? I didn't see 
>any reference to that in the message threads.

Well, EPERM would be a lie. EBUSY might be appropriate. The canonical text 
for that is "mount device busy", but it gets used for lots of things not 
related to mounting or unmounting.


>(PS The archive search feature at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ seem to be 
>broken - just about anything I type in the search box, including the word 
>"cygwin", comes back with "no matches". So I apologize for not being able 
>to do this research myself, and have to depend on those with long memories..)
>--
>Shankar.


Randall Schulz 


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list