Postmaster failing 'not enough core'

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Tue Jul 22 20:42:00 GMT 2003

Kevin,

[Sorry for the sluggish response time, but I have been distracted by the
impending Python 2.3 release...]

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 02:33:35PM +0100, Kevin Jones wrote:
> I'm running Cygwin 1.3.22.1 on Windows 2003.

Note that I do not have access to Windows 2003, so you will probably
have to debug this yourself...

> I've installed ipc-daemon as a service and I'm trying to get
> postmaster started.
>
> [snip]
>
> "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1499136, 03600) failed: Not
> enough core"
>
> followed by the rest of the message. I've tried reducing buffer sizes to
> 16 (the minimum) and the max connections to 8 (as can be seen above) and
> I'm still getting the problem.

This could be a cygipc under 2003 problem -- adjusting PostgreSQL
parameters most likely will not have any affect.

> I suspect it's a permissions problem (most of these seem to be:) ) Do I
> need to do anything special to the postgres user, or allow it access to
> any particular directory?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Does ipctest work?

    $ ipctest h
    Test v0.03
    Shared memory segment 132 created
    shmat return code= 0
    shmat ok adr= 0x680000
    ok

Does removing the cygipc temp files help?

    $ rm -fr /tmp/MultiFile* /tmp/cygipc_?

Does making /tmp world writable help?

    $ chmod 777 /tmp

If none of the above helps, then you will have to build a debug version
of cygipc, rebuild PostgreSQL against it, figure out which cygipc
operation is failing with ENOMEM, and *why* it is failing.

Jason