openssl commandline tools always output in text mode

Fri Jun 6 07:36:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:40:35PM +0200, Patrick Eisenacher wrote:
> Heyho,
>
> openssl's commandline tools always output in text mode, no matter what
> your mount type is, be it binary or text.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? ;o)

Weird.  It works for me:

$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003
$ cat > foo0 <<EOF
? Hello
? there!
? EOF
$ od -c foo0
0000000   H   e   l   l   o  \n   t   h   e   r   e   !  \n
0000015
$ openssl des -e -a -in foo0 -out foo1
enter des-cbc encryption password:
Verifying - enter des-cbc encryption password:
$ od -c foo1
0000000   U   2   F   s   d   G   V   k   X   1   9   7   w   9   x   o
0000020   /   T   u   N   H   J   v   R   o   /   t   X   9   d   S   z
0000040   1   j   P   G   C   Y   P   l   5   5   k   =  \n
0000055
$ openssl des -d -a -in foo1 -out foo2
enter des-cbc decryption password:
$ od -c foo2
0000000   H   e   l   l   o  \n   t   h   e   r   e   !  \n
0000015
$ cmp foo0 foo2
$

Since openssl doesn't use any of the env variables TMP, TEMP, TMPDIR
(which was a problem in patch(1) once), I don't know what's going on
on your system.  Please send a cygcheck output according to
http://cygwin.com/bugs.html.  Perhaps this gives a clue.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.