Inetd stops bash exits [WinME cygwin 1.3.22]

Mike Wray mike.wray@hp.com
Wed May 14 10:33:00 GMT 2003


After running inetd, terminal shells don't exit
when the terminal window is closed.

My system is (full cygcheck attached):
    Windows ME Ver 4.90 Build 3000
    Cygwin DLL version: 1.3.22
    Intel Pentium P4 2.4GHz, 256 MB RAM.

Here's what I did:

# run 2 rxvt and run inetd -d in one
bash-2.05b$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
   328117       1  328117 4294639179  con  500 08:46:14 /usr/bin/RXVT
   289321  328117  289321 4294576295    0  500 08:46:15 /usr/bin/BASH
   343769       1  343769 4294623527  con  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/RXVT
   523917  343769  523917 4294754087    1  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/BASH
   204957  523917  204957 4294603895    1  500 08:46:56 /USR/SBIN/INETD
   328909  289321  328909 4294574803    0  500 08:47:17 /usr/bin/PS

# ctrl-c inetd. Process 523917 is now marked 'I' - what does it mean?
bash-2.05b$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
   328117       1  328117 4294639179  con  500 08:46:14 /usr/bin/RXVT
   289321  328117  289321 4294576295    0  500 08:46:15 /usr/bin/BASH
   343769       1  343769 4294623527  con  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/RXVT
I  523917  343769  523917 4294754087    1  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/BASH
   418173  289321  418173 4294603367    0  500 08:47:50 /usr/bin/PS

# Close the rxvt window that ran xinetd from gui
bash-2.05b$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
   328117       1  328117 4294639179  con  500 08:46:14 /usr/bin/RXVT
   289321  328117  289321 4294576295    0  500 08:46:15 /usr/bin/BASH
I  523917       1  523917 4294754087    1  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/BASH
   398153  289321  398153 4294623859    0  500 08:48:24 /usr/bin/PS

# Process 523917 didn't die - got reparented to 1.
# From now on, when close rxvt the shells don't die.

# Run another rxvt (get that 'I' on the bash again):

bash-2.05b$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
   328117       1  328117 4294639179  con  500 08:46:14 /usr/bin/RXVT
   289321  328117  289321 4294576295    0  500 08:46:15 /usr/bin/BASH
I  523917       1  523917 4294754087    1  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/BASH
   328377       1  328377 4294638919  con  500 08:54:05 /usr/bin/RXVT
I  214641  328377  214641 4294626735    2  500 08:54:06 /usr/bin/bash
   341273  289321  341273 4294690943    0  500 08:54:10 /usr/bin/PS

# Close the rxvt window from gui:
bash-2.05b$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
   328117       1  328117 4294639179  con  500 08:46:14 /usr/bin/RXVT
   289321  328117  289321 4294576295    0  500 08:46:15 /usr/bin/BASH
I  523917       1  523917 4294754087    1  500 08:46:51 /usr/bin/BASH
I  214641       1  214641 4294626735    2  500 08:54:06 /usr/bin/bash
   328909  289321  328909 4294549123    0  500 08:54:22 /usr/bin/PS

# Process 214641 didn't die.
# Have to use kill 9 to get rid of 523917 and 214641.

Mike
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck.txt
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20030514/1034c1aa/attachment.txt>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/


More information about the Cygwin mailing list