DLL creating problem

RomikB romikb@mail.ru
Wed May 21 01:11:00 GMT 2003

Hello Ronald,

I'll try to create a dll using your hint, but i still have nothing.
Created dll is incorrect

>>   It have a
>>   "mov edi,bss_data+something"   instead of   "mov edi,bss_data"

I ask people at nasm.sf.net, they say that is possible a mingw(cygwin)
problem of incorrect using coff and win32 format.

 The issue is that .bss sections to not seem to behave properly, using
either '-f coff' or '-f win32' formats, when linked against MinGW32
and probably Cygwin. No testing has been done against Cygwin.  I added
a new format to outcoff.c called 'gnuwin32', specifically to deal with
these problems.  I assume cygwin uses the same object format as
mingw32, hence the gnuwin32 format name.

 It's based on the differences I found in the mingw32 gcc output
objects, relative to the 'Notes on COFF' in the top of outcoff.c ...

(4) Both standard COFF and Win32 COFF seem
  to use the DWORD field directly after the section name in
  the section header table for something strange: they
  store what the address of the section start point _would_
  be, if you laid all the sections end to end starting at
  zero. Dunno why. Microsoft's documentation lists this
  field as "Virtual Size of Section", which doesn't seem to
  fit at all. In fact, Win32 even includes non-linked
  sections such as .drectve in this calculation.

RLC> ELF is a Linux format - that won't work in any case.
RLC> (remember: Cygwin is a DLL that allows Windows programs to use POSIX
RLC> functions, but they're still Windows programs)

I'll find a way to create a dll using a elf file format

nasm -f elf -o file_asm.o file_asm.asm
gcc -c -o file_c.o file_c.c
dllwrap -o file.dll file_asm.o file_c.o --def file.def
strip file.dll

I know that is wrong way, but it working :)

--
Best regards,
 RomikB                            mailto:romikb@mail.ru