should libtool check for the correct version of find?

Earnie Boyd earnie@users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 28 14:50:00 GMT 2003

Matthew Arnison wrote:
> Hi libtool developers and users,
>
> libtool appears to depend on Unix find. Under Cygwin, an incorrect path can
> cause the Windows FIND to be used instead. To the untrained eye, (that is,
> me two days ago) it's not obvious from the output of configure and libtool
> that this has happened. The only warning I got was this:
>
> FIND: Parameter format not correct
>
> buried in the make output. The make does not actually fail until about a
> page later in the transcript when a link fails with a series of "undefined
> reference" errors.
>
> My suggestion is that libtool should get configure to check for the correct
> version of find (i.e. Unix find not WINDOWS find) as part of checking the
> general environment. I feel that configure's job is to check that all the
> correct tools are in place to do a build, so if libtool is used, then
> configure/libtool should check which find is being run.

Let's see, I've been involved with Cygwin for about five years and not
reading the Cygwin FAQ and other documentation before starting is the
biggest error from Cygwin newbies I've found.  This isn't something
libtool needs to concern itself with.

> I know that the Cygwin path order is a FAQ:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC42
>
> however in my case all the other standard Unix tools seemed to be working
> OK. Although Cygwin sets up the correct PATH by default in /etc/profile,
> if you login remotely this can be bypassed.

Then you've not setup Cygwin appropriately for this.  Probably something
else that's in the FAQ.

> Unfortunately I do not have time to contribute a patch.

Then it's a mute point.

> But I thought you
> might be interested to hear of this case. I think it might save some other
> poor soul from the same painstaking search I just made.

Since, just as yourself, others will fail to read, others will still
have pains.

Earnie.
--
http://www.mingw.org