'entrypoint __getreent missing' problem in the binary distribution files for Windows ! How to proceed, how to report the bug ?

Rolf Hemmerling hemmerling@gmx.net
Sat Jan 24 08:35:00 GMT 2004

Hello again !

( at first, I get the digest version of the messages, so I can´t reply
in the thread :-( )

I did a complete download at 2003-11-29, with which I encountered the
problems with the "__getreent missing" messages of the G++ compiler and
other tools. So I beg your pardon, that I reported this expericence so
"lately".

Now with download of 2004-01-24, at least G++ is running, so my problem
is particially solved. I did not check the other packages.

The "only" useful update technology for me as Windows users, is to use
WS_FTP by doing a recursive directory download, so that just "new" files
( not yet existing on my local computer) were downloaded, PLUS setup.bz2.

Due to this process, I realize:

gcc/gccg++/

does not contain updated files since 2003-10.

So the "critical" "bad" component is probably

cygwin/cygwin-1.5.5.1.tar.bz2

!!!!!

If I am right, note that
cygwin/cygwin-1.5.6.1.tar.bz2
is of 2004-01-19, so that my posting is just "superfluous" since a few days.

****** I just would like to advice other newbies and experts, IF they
run into such problems, to post it here in the list !

**** Thanks to "Homar Simpson" for support and agreeing to my message in
this mailing list.

But I can´t agree with his conclusion
> In my opinion, not all binary packages wasn't recompiled with the newest
> cygwin1.dll, so the problems with missing entrypoints only can solved with
> recompiling hole.
as with the same-old GCC, but with new cygwin base package, G++ works now !

> This problems was reporting from me last quarter '03 - i think september,
> shortly after released > cygwin 1.5.
Exactly, so
cygwin/cygwin-1.5.5.1.tar.bz2
is the bad package, from my point of view.

As some of the packages of 2003-11 were running, like GCC, but some like
G++ NOT,

Might the team consider to delete or ??update?? the "critical"
components from the FTP download, so that nobody is mislead to download
and use a corrupt release of cygwin-1.5.5.1.tar.bz2 ? As I am a newbie,
I don´t know about the practice and rules with this project.

Anyhow,
cygwin/cygwin-1.5.6.1.tar.bz2
is a working solution !

Sincerely
Rolf
--
       /   /    / Alone on the data highway...
     /        /   like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen