'entrypoint __getreent missing' problem in the binary distribution files for Windows ! How to proceed, how to report the bug ?

Dave Korn davek_throwaway@hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 11:24:00 GMT 2004

>From: Rolf Hemmerling
>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:26:59 +0100

>The "only" useful update technology for me as Windows users, is to use
>WS_FTP by doing a recursive directory download, so that just "new" files (
>not yet existing on my local computer) were downloaded, PLUS setup.bz2.

   NO!

  The *ONLY* useful update technology for a Windows user is to use the
setup.exe program.  It's the only thing that guarantees that you'll download
a consistent and fully working cygwin setup.  By the way, are you under the
impression that there are many non-Windows users of cygwin?

>Due to this process, I realize:
>
>gcc/gccg++/
>
>does not contain updated files since 2003-10.
>
>So the "critical" "bad" component is probably
>
>cygwin/cygwin-1.5.5.1.tar.bz2
>
>!!!!!
>
>If I am right,

  Stop right there.  You aren't right.  You're very very wrong.  You
downloaded a mismatched set of files because you used the wrong,
unsupported, and very very difficult to get right method of doing it
manually, when you should have been using the very very simple and
guaranteed correct method of using setup.exe

>so that my posting is just "superfluous" since a few days.

  Nope, your posting was superfluous from the word go.

>****** I just would like to advice other newbies and experts, IF they run
>into such problems, to post it here in the list !

  But at least take people's word for it when they give you the answer to
your problem!

>**** Thanks to "Homar Simpson" for support and agreeing to my message in
>this mailing list.
>
>But I can´t agree with his conclusion

  Wow!  "Homer Simpson supports me, but he's wrong."  D'oh!

        DaveK