Creating DLL's for use with MSVC

Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul@etb.net.co
Wed Mar 10 14:46:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:59:26 +0100, Niklas Wallin wrote in
<D9B6A11B-7268-11D8-B092-000393C92B12@foi.se>:

>We are currently porting a linux C++ project to windows. The project
>consists of several dll's (or .so's). To recreate those dll's in
>Windows it seems like you have to add a lot of __cdecls definitions or
>use a definitions file. Neither method is appealing to us. So, I read
>somewhere that Cygwin might do the trick by exporting all symbols. So,
>I started to compile dll's in cygwin:
>
>c++ -shared -mno-cygwin -o mydll.dll mydll.cpp \
>	-Wl, --out-implib=mydll.lib
>	-W1,--output-def=mydll.def
>	-W1,--export-all-symbols

Try:

cc++ -shared -mno-cygwin -o mydll.dll mydll.cpp \
	-Wl,--out-implib=mydll.lib \
	-W1,--output-def=mydll.def \
	-W1,--export-all-symbols \
	-Wl,--enable-auto-import \
	-Wl,--enable-auto-image-base \
	-Wl,--compat-implib \
	-Wl,--add-stdcall-alias \
	-Wl,--enable-stdcall-fixup

Yu should recycle recycle your def file. You see, it will contain a
lot of unnecessary symbols, so... After you have obtained a def file
above, edit it to include only the symbols you really need exported
and include it in your project for future use. Then you can do:

cc++ -shared -mno-cygwin -o mydll.dll mydll.cpp mydll.def \
	-Wl,--out-implib=mydll.lib \
	-Wl,--compat-implib \
	-Wl,--enable-auto-import \
	-Wl,--enable-auto-image-base \
	-Wl,--add-stdcall-alias \
	-Wl,--enable-stdcall-fixup

To obtain a well behaved dll and a (probably?) usable import library.

If you are using this within a Makefile, you should rather input the
object files. Like this:

cc++ -shared -mno-cygwin $(CXXFLAGS) -o mydll.dll \
	-Wl,--out-implib=mydll.lib \
	-Wl,--compat-implib \
	-Wl,--add-stdcall-alias \
	-Wl,--enable-stdcall-fixup \
	-Wl,--enable-auto-import \
	-Wl,--enable-auto-image-base \
	-Wl,--whole-archive \
		$(MY_DLL_OBJECT_FILES_LIST) \
		my_dll_symbols_export_list.def \
	-Wl,--no-whole-archive \
		$(ANY_LIBRARIES_THE_DLL_SHOULD_AUTO_LOAD)

See GNU GCC and GNU binutils' documentation for an explanation. (This,
btw, should go in the FAQ, consider it a contribution).