Can't switch to another user.

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 30 15:04:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am a first time user and having problem using login. When I try to
> login as another user it goes through the authentication and finally
> fails. See the full transcript attached below.
>
> $ login localcontrol
> Password:
> No directory /home/LocalService!
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Logging in with home = "/".
> Fanfare!!!
> You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
> login: no shell: /bin/tcsh: Permission denied
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I installed cygwin from the internet using setup.exe (for all users). My
> account has admin privileages on this machine (so does the localcontrol
> account). While I am quite familar with Unix/Linux, I am a novice when
> it comes to windows world. Please help.
>
> I am having minor difficulty in subscribing to this list. While I am
> working through that issue, please, if do not mind, cc replies to me
> also.

Please read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, particularly the bit about attaching
(as an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of "cygcheck -svr" on
your system.

Also, you cannot use "login" to switch users on Cygwin -- for details, see
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>.  You may be able to use ssh
(see the openssh README).

Judging by the underlined lines in the output you posted, you may be
logging in as the wrong user, apparently.  Depending on why you're trying
to do this, different options are available.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu