Can't switch to another user.

Ramasubramanian Ramesh rramesh@ti.com
Tue Aug 30 15:39:00 GMT 2005


Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
>
>  
>
>>Hi,
>>
>> I am a first time user and having problem using login. When I try to
>>login as another user it goes through the authentication and finally
>>fails. See the full transcript attached below.
>>
>>$ login localcontrol
>>Password:
>>No directory /home/LocalService!
>>    
>>
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  
>
>>Logging in with home = "/".
>>Fanfare!!!
>>You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
>>login: no shell: /bin/tcsh: Permission denied
>>    
>>
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  
>
>>I installed cygwin from the internet using setup.exe (for all users). My
>>account has admin privileages on this machine (so does the localcontrol
>>account). While I am quite familar with Unix/Linux, I am a novice when
>>it comes to windows world. Please help.
>>
>>I am having minor difficulty in subscribing to this list. While I am
>>working through that issue, please, if do not mind, cc replies to me
>>also.
>>    
>>
>
>Please read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
><http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, particularly the bit about attaching
>(as an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of "cygcheck -svr" on
>your system.
>
>Also, you cannot use "login" to switch users on Cygwin -- for details, see
><http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>.  You may be able to use ssh
>(see the openssh README).
>
>Judging by the underlined lines in the output you posted, you may be
>logging in as the wrong user, apparently.  Depending on why you're trying
>to do this, different options are available.
>	Igor
>  
>
Igor,

Thanks for a quick reply.  I am attaching the requested info.

Based on the document I read, I got the impression that I cannot use su 
but login will work.  I really do not need to login as different user. 
However, I see that xinetd does not work as it should. It also 
misteriously dies with some sort of permission denied message. So when I 
did a xinetd -d to see the transcript of an attempt to telnet, I saw 
something similar to login failure.  So I decided to try a simple 
experiment with login. But I really need inetd/telnet/ftp to work.

Regards
Ramesh



-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20050830/e64cdf03/attachment.ksh>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/


More information about the Cygwin mailing list