how to make ssh-agent automatically

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 01:24:00 GMT 2005

Hi HS...

You can use keychain (a package available from setup.exe).

I do something like

ssh-add -l >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
  ssh-add
fi

in my .bash_profile, because keychain is slow when I launch several windows.

Why do you kill the agent when you log out? (Windows will kill it when you
log off from windows.)
If you want to keep the agent around from one login to the next, you can
launch the agent as a service. I used to do that with keychain, but for
performance reasons, I use ssh-agent and ssh-add directly. I plan on
proposing a package for doing this.

HTH,

...Karl